- Union Education Minister launches “MyNEP2020” platform of NCTE Portal.
- The platform seeks to invite suggestions/inputs/membership from the stakeholders for preparing draft for the development of National Professional Standards for Teachers (NPST) and National Mission for Mentoring Program membership (NMM).
- The NCTE in its previous form was established in 1973 as an advisory body for the Central and State Governments on all matters pertaining to teacher education. It was not a separate institution but a department under the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT).
- It was established as a statutory body in 1995 in accordance with the National Council for Teacher Education Act, 1993.
- It was given statutory authority as envisaged under the National Policy on Education (NPE), 1986 since it could not perform essential regulatory functions effectively in its earlier form.
- Coordinate the academic activities on teacher education
- Develop Curriculum Frameworks and Model Syllabi
- Prepare guidelines for conducting academic activities in TEIs
- Conduct research in the field of Teacher Education
- Provide resource support in the field of Teacher Education
- Develop database on various aspects of Teacher Education
SOURCE: THE HINDU,THE ECONOMIC TIMES,MINT