Recently, the Ministry of Education released the India Rankings 2021 instituted by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) (sixth edition).
- The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) was approved by the Ministry of Education (Erstwhile Ministry of Human Resource Development) in September 2015.
- It is the first-ever effort by the government to rank Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in the country.
- Participation in NIRF was made compulsory for all government-run educational institutions in 2018.
Assessment on Five Parameters:
- Teaching, Learning and Resources (TLR)
- Research and Professional Practice (RP)
- Graduation Outcomes (GO)
- Outreach and Inclusivity (OI)
- 11 Categories: Best institutions across 11 categories are listed out – overall national ranking, universities, engineering, college, medical, management, pharmacy, law, architecture, dental and research.
- The subjectivity in the ranking methodology developed by QS World University Rankings and the Times Higher Education World University Ranking led India to start its own ranking system for Indian HEIs on the line of Shanghai Rankings.
- NIRF is in its sixth year, but it continues to only rank Indian HEIs whereas Shanghai Rankings were international in character from the first year itself.
- The long-term plan of NIRF is to make it an international league table.
- of Participating Institutions in 2021: More than 6,000 institutes participated in NIRF Rankings.
SOURCE: THE HINDU,THE ECONOMIC TIMES,MINT