- The Petersberg Dialogue on Climate Change was held in Berlin recently.
- It was hosted by Germany and the United Arab Emirates.
- The focus of the Petersberg Climate Dialogue is on laying the groundwork for the COP28 Climate Change Conference in the United Arab Emirates.
- Ministers from 40 countries attended the conference to discuss the way forward towards COP28.
- The Agenda calls for coal phaseout by 2030 in Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development countries, and by 2040 in all others, as well as achieving Net Zero electricity generation and decarbonising major sectors.
- The 2023 United Nations Climate Change Conference or Conference of the Parties of the UNFCCC, more commonly referred to as COP28, will be the 28th conference.
- It will be held at the Expo City, Dubai.
- The conference has been held annually since the first UN climate agreement in 1992.
It will comprise:
- the 28th meeting of the Conference of the Parties (COP 28);
- the fifth meeting of the COP serving as the Meeting of the Parties to the Paris Agreement;
- the 18th meeting of the COP serving as the Meeting of the Parties to the Kyoto Protocol;
- the 59th meeting of the Subsidiary Body for Implementation;
- the 59th meeting of the Subsidiary Body for Scientific and Technological Advice.
COP 27 was held in Egypt.
SOURCE: THE HINDU, THE ECONOMIC TIMES, PIB