- Recently, the Government of India has accorded sanction to Team CLAW to lead a team of people with disabilities to scale Siachen Glacier and create a new world record for the largest team of people with disabilities.
- This is the land world record expedition part of ‘Operation Blue Freedom Triple World Records’ being undertaken.
- Triple Elemental World Records is a series of world records being attempted by the team in 2021 of collectives of people with disabilities achieving great feats on land, in air and underwater.
- The Siachen Glacier is located in the Eastern Karakoram range in the Himalayas, just northeast of Point NJ9842 where the Line of Control between India and Pakistan ends.
- It is the Second-Longest glacier in the World’s Non-Polar areas.
- Fedchenko Glacier, located in Yazgulem Range, Tajikistan is the Longest glacier in the World’s Non-Polar areas.
- The Siachen Glacier lies immediately south of the great drainage divide that separates the Eurasian Plate from the Indian subcontinent in the extensively glaciated portion of the Karakoram sometimes called the “Third Pole”.
- The Siachen Glacier is part of Ladakh which has now been converted into a Union Territory.
- The Siachen Glacier is the world’s highest battlefield.
- The entire Siachen Glacier has been under the administration of India since 1984 (Operation Meghdoot).
- Initially, a team of 20 people with disabilities would be selected to undergo training, after which the final expedition team shall be selected.
- Final expedition team (including a minimum of 6 people with disabilities), who will trek from the Siachen Base Camp to Kumar Post.
- Kumar post is located at an altitude of about 15,632 feet.
SOURCE: THE HINDU,THE ECONOMIC TIMES,MINT