- Recently, the Ministry of Tribal Affairs has launched “ShramShakti”- a NationalMigration Support Portal, to smooth the formulation of state and national levelprograms for migrant workers.
- A training manual “ShramSaathi” was also launched for migrant workers.
About the Portal:
It has been launched to collect data related to tribal migrant workers andlink them with the existing welfare schemes.
To address the data gap:
- Various data will be recorded via Shram Shakti include demographic profile,livelihood options, skill mapping and migration pattern.
- It will help in empowering the workers who generally migrate in search ofemployment and income generation.
To help in formulation of strategies:
It would help the national and state governments in formulation ofeffective strategiesand policy decisions for welfare of migrant workers atboth source and destination states.
To address the issues various related migrants:
- Wages harassment issues,
- Occupational hazards at the workplace, etc.
Linking with other schemes:
This portal will link the migrant population with the existing WelfareSchemes under Atamnirbhar Bharat.
Recent Government Initiatives to Help Migrant Workers:
- The Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) launched‘AtmaNirbhar Skilled Employee Employer Mapping (ASEEM)’portal to help skilled people find sustainable livelihood opportunities.
- Database of labour migrants in Indian states and overseas citizens, whoreturned to India under the Vande Bharat Mission and filled SWADESSkill Card, has been integrated with the ASEEM portal.
- The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) hasdeveloped an online dashboard called ‘National Migrant InformationSystem (NMIS)’.
- It would maintain a central repository of migrant workers and helpin speedy inter-state communicationto facilitate the smoothmovement of migrant workers to their native places.
Amalgamation of Labour Laws into Codes:
- Recently, numerous labour laws have been amalgamated into four labourcodes namely Code on Wages Act 2019, Industrial Relations Code2020, Code on Social Security 2020, and Occupational Safety,Health and Working Conditions Code 2020.
- They are also aimed at facilitating industrialisation throughout the nationand thus checking distress labour migration ultimately.
Initiatives for Tribal Welfare:
Pradhan Manti Van DhanYojana (PMVDY):
- It is a market-linkedtribal entrepreneurship development program forforming clusters of tribal SHGsand strengthening them into TribalProducer Companies.
- It also aims to set-up tribal community owned Minor ForestProduce(MFP)-centric multi-purpose Van DhanVikasKendras(theKendra) in predominantly tribal districts.
Eklavya Model Residential Schools (EMRSs):
- EMRSstarted in the year 1997-98 to impart quality middle and highleveleducationto ST children in remote areas and enable them to haveaccess to the best opportunities in education at par with the non STpopulation.
- These are being set up by grants provided under Article 275(1) of theConstitution.
The Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India(TRIFED):
- TRIFED came into existence in 1987. It is a national-level apexorganization functioning under the administrative control of the Ministry ofTribal Affairs.
- TRIFED has its key objectives of promoting tribal art & craft, hand loomsand set-up tribal community owned Minor Forest Produce (MFP)-centricmulti-purpose Van DhanVikasKendras.