- Recently, the World Meteorological Congress 2021 has endorsed a Water Declaration, including the Water and Climate Coalition.
- It has also approved a new vision and strategy for hydrology and an associated plan of action.
- Only 40% of countries globally have operational early flood and drought warning systems.
- Some 60% of WMO member countries lack hydrological monitoring capabilities. Globally, more than three billion people have no quality management system for their water-related data in place.
- It means close to half of the world’s population is at risk due to a lack of information on the state of their water resources including rivers, lakes, groundwater, according to the most recent United Nation (UN)estimates.
- Some 107 countries are not on track to have sustainably managed water resources.
- By 2030 early warnings for early action related to floods and droughts will be available for people everywhere on the planet to access.
- Policies for water and climate action developed within the sustainable development agenda will be integrated to yield maximum benefit for people.
- Members will pursue these goals through partnerships for capacity development, knowledge exchange and information sharing, etc.
SOURCE: THE HINDU,THE ECONOMIC TIMES,MINT