The Indian Army contingent will participate in a two-week multinational military exercise named ‘ZAPAD 2021’ at Nizhny in Russia.
- It is one of the theatre level exercises of the Russian Armed Forces and will focus primarily on operations against terrorists.
- Over a dozen countries from Eurasian and South Asian Region will participate in the exercise.
- Nine are Participating countries which include Mongolia, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Serbia, Russia, India and Belarus.
- Eight countries are Observers which include Pakistan, China, Vietnam, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Uzbekistan and Sri Lanka.
- The aim is to enhance military and strategic ties amongst the participating nations.
- The NAG Battalion group (from India) will participate in the exercise.
- The Naga Regiment is an infantry regiment of the Indian Army.
- India also participated in the exercise TSENTR 2019, which is part of the annual series of large scale exercises that form part of the Russian Armed Forces’ annual training cycle.
SOURCE: THE HINDU,THE ECONOMIC TIMES,MINT