- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the first vaccine, Arexvy for respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) to lower respiratory tract disease in people older than 60 years.
- This is the first RSV vaccine to be approved anywhere in the world.
- The trial showed that a single dose of the vaccine reduced the risk of people, older than 60 years, developing lower respiratory tract disease caused by the RSV virus by 82.6% and reduced the risk of developing severe disease by 94.1%.
- Respiratory syncytial virus, or RSV, is a common respiratory virus that usually causes mild, cold-like symptoms.
- RSV can be serious, especially for infants and older adults.
- RSV is the most common cause of bronchiolitis (inflammation of the small airways in the lung) and pneumonia (infection of the lungs) in children younger than 1 year of age.
- Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) causes infections of the lungs and respiratory tract.
SOURCE: THE HINDU, THE ECONOMIC TIMES, PIB