- Union Minister of State for Panchayati Raj informed the Lok Sabha about implementation of the SWAMITVA Scheme.
- It is a Central Sector Scheme.
- To provide the ‘Record of Rights’ to village household owners possessing houses in inhabited areas (Abadi) in villages.
- Under the scheme, land parcels in rural inhabited area of all the villages of the country are surveyed.
- It helps in determination of clear ownership of property.
- The scheme covers multifarious aspects:
- facilitating monetisation of properties and enabling bank loan;
- reducing property related disputes;
- comprehensive village level planning.
- National Informatics Centre is responsible to enhance the Ministry’s Spatial Planning Application ‘Gram Manchitra’.
Broad Areas of Impact
Inclusive Society –
Access to Property Rights with Improvement in socio-economic standards of vulnerable population in villages
Land Governance –
SVAMITVA Scheme aims to address the root cause for disputes at local level
Sustainable Habitats –
High-resolution digital maps for better Gram Panchayat Development Plans (GPDP) leading to improvement across infrastructure through efficient allocation of funds and increased accessibility
Economic Growth –
It helps people to monetize their property as collateral. It is also a boost to India’s economic growth through streamlining of Property taxes.
SOURCE: THE HINDU, THE ECONOMIC TIMES, PIB