56 ‘Raising Day’ event of the Border Security Force (BSF) was held on 1 December 2020 in New Delhi.
- The BSF was raised in 1965 after the India-Pakistan war.
- It is one of the five Central Armed Police Forces of Union of India under the administrative control of the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
Other Central Armed Police Forces are
- Assam Rifles (AR), Indo-Tibetan
- Border Police (ITBP),
- Central Industrial Security Force (CISF),
- Central Reserve
- Police Force (CRPF),
- National Security Guards (NSG)
- Sashastra Seema Bal(SSB).
- The 2.65-lakh force is deployed along the Pakistan and Bangladesh borders.
- It is deployed on Indo-Pakistan International Border, Indo- Bangladesh International Border, Line of Control (LoC) along with Indian Army and in Anti-Naxal Operations.
- It has an air wing, marine wing, an artillery regiment, and commando units.
- BSF has been defending Sir Creak in Arabian Sea and Sundarban delta in the Bay of Bengal with its state of art fleet of Water Crafts.
- BSF has an instrumental role in helping state administration in maintaining Law and Order and conduct of peaceful election.
- BSF has been crusading against natural calamity to save precious human lives as and when warranted.
- It contributes dedicated services to the UN peacekeeping Mission by sending a large contingent of its trained manpower every year.
- It has been termed as the First Line of Defence of Indian Territories.