- The findings of a recent report by Swiss technology company IQAir said 39 of the world’s top 50 most polluted cities were in India.
- IQAir is a Swiss air quality technology company that prepares annual world air quality reports based on data from monitoring stations operated by governments and other institutions and organisations across the world.
- The 2022 report is based on PM2.5 data from 7,323 cities and 131 countries.
- There were six Indian cities in the top 10 with the most polluted air globally, 14 in the top 20, 39 in the top 50 and 65 in the top 100 .
- India had the eighth-most polluted air on average.
- The worst-affected cities from India on the list are all from the northern part of the country, especially the densely-populated Indo-Gangetic Plain, stretching from Punjab in the west to West Bengal in the east.
Causes of such high pollution in northern India:
- Air pollution from:
- power plants,
- open burning of waste,
- use of solid fuels by poor households and
- dust sources.
SOURCE: THE HINDU, THE ECONOMIC TIMES, PIB