The Indian Meteorological Society (IMS) and the North Eastern Space Applications Centre organise a 4-day Virtual Symposium on Tropical Meteorology called TROPMET-2020.
- The theme of the event is “Weather and Climate Services over Mountainous Regions”.
- There would be several talks and lectures by eminent scientists during the course of the symposium including a special talk by the Deputy Secretary General of the World Meteorological Organisation.
INDIAN METEOROLOGICAL SOCIETY:
- It is a non-profit organisation that works for the advancement of meteorological and allied sciences.
- It works for the dissemination of knowledge in this field and also in the application of meteorology and allied sciences to various constructive human activities, such as, agriculture and land uses, irrigation and power development, navigation of sea and air, engineering and technology, medicine
and public health, etc.
- It organises lectures, symposia, etc. and publishes books, journals, etc. on meteorology.
NORTH EASTERN SPACE APPLICATIONS CENTRE (NESAC):
- North Eastern Space Applications Centre (NESAC) was established as a joint initiative of the Department of Space (DOS, GOI) and the North Eastern Council (NEC) and came into being in 2000.
- The Centre helps in augmenting the developmental process in the region by providing advanced space technology support.
- It provides services to the NE states of India using space and technology.
- It is located in Shillong, Meghalaya.
- To provide an operational remote sensing and geographic information system aided natural resource information base to support activities on development/management of natural resources and infrastructure planning in the region.
- To provide operational satellite communication applications services in the region in education, health care, disaster management support, and developmental communication.
- To take up research in space and atmospheric science area and establish an instrumentation hub and networking with various academic institutions of NER.
- To enable single window delivery of all possible space based support for disaster management.
- To set up a regional level infrastructure for capacity building in the field of geospatial technology.