- A tenth century hero stone with ‘Vattezhuthu’ inscriptions on it was found in Thoothai village near Thirupuvanam district.
- It is three feet in height and 21 inches in width, a stone was found.
- The relief sculpture on the stone is that of aman, going to war, and he is holding a bow in his left handand arrow in the right.
- He is wearing a belt on his hip, with a hip flask hanging from it.
- A three sided border is found on the stone, and it has Tamil ‘vattezhuthu’ on it. Some of the letters have become damaged.
- The visible letters read ‘nool vel kondu poga pattan’.
- They said that it could be understood that the stone was erected in memory of a man who died fighting for his village, ‘Thoothai’.
- It also helps to determine the fact that this village was an ancient one.
SOURCE: THE HINDU, THE ECONOMIC TIMES, PIB