In unanimous decision, Arab League readmits Syria after 11-year absence
What is Arab League?
- The Arab League is a regional organization in the Arab world.
- The Arab League was formed in Cairo in 1945.
Initially it had six members:
- Saudi Arabia, and
Currently, the League has 22 members.
- Syria’s participation was suspended from 2011 till recently.
- Each member state has one vote in the Council of the Arab League, and decisions are binding only for those states that have voted for them.
- In 2015, the Arab League announced the establishment of a Joint Arab Force with the aim of counteracting extremism and other threats to the Arab States.
- Participation in the project is voluntary, and the army intervenes only at the request of one of the member states.
SOURCE: THE HINDU, THE ECONOMIC TIMES, PIB