- Scientists Carolyn R. Bertozzi, Morten Meldal and K. Barry Sharpless won the 2022 Nobel Prize in Chemistry on Wednesday for discovering reactions that let molecules snap together to create desired compounds and that offer insight into cell biology.
- It came a day after Alain Aspect, John F. Clauser and Anton Zeilinger won the prize in physics for their advances in quantum mechanics on the behaviour of subatomic particles, opening the door to work on super computers and encrypted communication.
- Americans Ms. Bertozzi and Mr. Sharpless, together with Denmark’s Mr. Meldal, were honoured “for the development of click chemistry and bioorthogonal chemistry”.
- The Nobel Prize was set up when businessman Alfred Nobel died and left the majority of his fortune to the establishment of prizes in physics, chemistry, physiology or medicine, literature and peace.
- His will stated that the prizes should be awarded to those who shall have conferred the greatest benefit to humankind.
- Since the 1st Nobel Prizes were awarded in 1901, they have been awarded annually. It was not awarded, mostly during World War I and II.
A Nobel Prize cannot be awarded posthumously.
|Nobel Prize in Physics and Chemistry||Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences|
|Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine||The Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet|
|Nobel Prize in Literature||The Swedish Academy|
|Nobel Peace Prize||Norwegian Nobel Committee|
- [Norwegian Nobel Committee is a 5-member committee of the Norwegian Parliament (Storting).]
- Fund – When Alfred Nobel died leaving the majority of his fortune to the establishment of the Nobel Prize he stated that the money should be converted into a fund and invested in “safe securities.”
- Today the interest earned on that money is used to fund the Nobel Prizes.
Nobel Prize Laureate
- The word “laureate” refers to being signified by the laurel wreath.
- In ancient Greece, laurel wreaths were awarded to victors as a sign of honour.
SOURCE: THE HINDU, THE ECONOMIC TIMES, PIB