- Affairs, has asked States and Union Territories to develop 100 eat right food streets in 100 districts across the country.
- The aim of this project is to encourage safe and healthy practices to reduce food-borne illnesses and improve overall health outcomes.
- Safe food practices would not only boost the “eat right campaign” and food safety but also improve the hygiene credibility of local food businesses.
- Financial assistance of ₹1 crore per food street/district will be given to States and Union Territories.
- Eat Right India movement is an initiative led by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
- The Food Safety and Standards Agency of India (FSSAI) under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare launched Eat Right India in 2018.
- The Eat Right India movement acts as a critical health preventive action that brings about social and behavioral change through a smart mix of regulatory measures coupled with mild interventions to create awareness and build the capacity of food businesses and citizens.
Eat Right India movement motto
- The Eat Right India movement motto is similar to the Gandhi philosophy of food and nutrition – eat safe, smart and healthy.
- Its main goal is to promote healthy eating by educating people and companies about the basics of nutrition and why it matters.
- Activities under Eat Right India movement
- The activities are to educate and develop the capacity of various stakeholders in food ecosystems such as food processors, administrators, frontline health workers.
- To push food companies to reformulate packaged foods into healthier options and use safe and environmentally friendly packaging materials.
SOURCE: THE HINDU, THE ECONOMIC TIMES, PIB